When heading back to the work place after being off for a long amount of time and because of something so serious it is important that necessary procedures are in place to make everyone feel safe at work.
As an employer there are 5 simple things you can do to help make sure your employees feel safe returning to work:
1. Carry out a Covid-19 risk assessment:
- Make sure your work force know that a risk assessment has been carried out and they know that you feel it is safe for them to go back to work after doing the checks.
- Identify the hazards- is there going to be an item that employees all need to use, and it is going to need to be sterilized every time it has been used?
- Involve your workers into decisions- they are putting themselves at risk by returning to work.
- Assess the risk- who may be harmed and how? Who needs to carry out the action?
- Control the risk- how can you control the risk- replace materials, social distancing etc…
2. Make cleaning, handwashing procedures. Make sure that when employees enter the building, they wash their hands. If they touch something was their hands, sanitise their workspace when they get there and before they leave. Make sure that there is also a clear guidance for going to the toilet.
3. If for some reason an employee can’t return to the workplace straight away because of health or childcare, then support them. Make sure they have the necessary equipment, include them in all necessary communications and check up on them. See that they are doing okay at home.
4. Where possible maintain the 2m social distancing rule between people. Do what you can to make people aware of this at all times. Put up signs, floor stickers, one-way system. You need your employees to be safe and healthy so that they can carry on working so make it easier by following the 2m rule.
5. If you can’t keep 2m at all time you need to think of ways to reduce the risk of the virus. Make sure close contact is for a short period of time. Use screens between desks, stagger times that employees can come into the office.
Keeping safe and healthy is the main aim when returning to work so make sure that when it comes to being back in the workplace procedures are done properly to reduce the spread of the virus. If you need help with health and safety training or advice, then please get in contact with us through our website www.atsas.org.uk or call us on:07549 845721